Comments

From:(Anonymous)
Date:January 25th, 2009 09:59 am (UTC)

heidegger

(Link)
"member Nazi Party" (1933-1945)
Does Your data suggest, that he stepped out of the Party before 1945?
Love, Aly
[User Picture]
From:bobby1933
Date:January 25th, 2009 11:29 pm (UTC)
(Link)
New respect for Edith Stein, new disrespect for Martin Heidegger.

If these were people she interacted with, wow!

People became Nazis to advance their careers in the thirties, but the idea that Heidegger caved in is disgusting. Surely, he could not find in his philosophy anything to justify such an action. We are told that there are dangers to philosophies that claim to go "beyond good and evil," and I agree. But I am drawn to Taoism, the via negativa, and existentialism. I don't think any of those ideas provide justification for hurting others.
From:(Anonymous)
Date:January 26th, 2009 08:09 am (UTC)

Stein and her listed contemporaries

(Link)
I don't think she knew any of these people other than Heidegger.