Comments

From:(Anonymous)
Date:May 28th, 2009 06:40 am (UTC)
(Link)
Thomas Merton, too, attended services at St. Michael's in his early years, according to this history: http://stmichaelruscath.org/history.php
[User Picture]
From:personalist
Date:May 28th, 2009 04:18 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Thanks for this history. I had never heard before that Merton had visited St. Michael's. He must have heard of it from the Baroness de Hueck. No one at the CW could tell me whether or not he had ever visited the CW when he lived in New York. He knew of it and mentions in THE SEVEN STORY MOUNTAIN that someone from the Worker was due to give a lecture at St. Bonaventure's University while he was teaching there. The CW may have been too political for him. He seems to have preferred Friendship House. RS
From:(Anonymous)
Date:June 4th, 2009 05:08 pm (UTC)

Young Students in the Sixties

(Link)
Thanks for this wonderful photo. I clearly remember a small group of high school friends visiting the Worker and attending Easter services at St Michael's. I seem to remember a crowded small space in front of the iconostasis in which we all stood for the lengthy liturgy, the heavy incense and the bread and wine. Truly a unique experience for us (1961?)finding a rite within the Catholic Church that seemed a well-kept secret. CNP