?

No account? Create an account
Prostitution of Politics - Catholic Worker odds & ends
January 9th, 2011
12:58 pm

[Link]

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
Prostitution of Politics
The Republicans say:
"Let's turn the rascals out."
The Democrats say:
"Let's turn the rascals out."
The Republicans
call the Democrats
rascals.
The Democrats
call the Republicans
rascals.
For the Republicans
as well as for the Democrats
politics
is just profitable business,
By making a business
out of politics,
politicians
have prostituted
the noble calling
of politics.

-------Peter Maurin

(6 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments

[User Picture]
From:bobby1933
Date:January 10th, 2011 05:23 am (UTC)
(Link)
I can't get enough "easy essays"....

But politics a "noble calling?" Come on!
[User Picture]
From:personalist
Date:January 10th, 2011 10:30 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Well, I can sympathize with your feeling but, like the poor, sin, death and a number of other things, politics will always be with us and I suppose when politicians consider their calling "noble" that's a good thing. Another question is to what extent Peter Maurin was really an anarchist. One problem I have with the Easy Essays is the way he is always dragging the Catholic Church and its bishops into every discussion. A more ignorant, backward and reactionary group it is hard to imagine. RS
[User Picture]
From:bobby1933
Date:January 10th, 2011 10:38 pm (UTC)

Backward Bishops

(Link)
Yes, and Cardinals more so--and Popes

I've often wondered how John Paul I really died and why?
[User Picture]